Background - Toner particles in the non-image areas of an
- Extra toner around printed characters or graphics, in an area that
should be white.
- Those particles in a developer mix which convey toner, but do not
themselves become a part of the image in the finished print. In a
liquid developer, the carrier may be called a dispersant.
Core - Empty used cartridge.
Assembly - The Supply Unit when fully loaded with the magnetic roller
core sleeve and other small plastic parts such as ring spacers and front and
rear mounting lugs and bushings.
Charged Area Development - Development of latent electrostatic image
by toner of opposite charge.
- Used in some cartridges to place the primary charger on the OPC Drum.
- The process of establishing an electrostatic surface charge of uniform
density on an insulating medium.
Granulometer - Used to measure particle size distribution of toner
Bar - See Felt Wand
- See Wiper Blade
- In a general sense, the visible flow produced by ionized air in the path
of a high voltage electrical discharge. In electrostatics, the
specific type of charging unit employed.
Charging - Charging by means of gaseous ions generated by the corona.
Magnet - Small magnetic strips placed inside the Corona Wire Assembly.
Used to control streaking by attracting toner away from the corona wire.
- See Primary/Transfer Corona Wire
Cavity - (Dust Bin, Waste Chamber) Storage area in toner cartridge for
Densitometer - Measures image density and background of printed
- A mixture of (non magnetic) toner and carrier.
- The process of converting a latent electrostatic image into a viewable
Discharged Area Development - Development of discharged latent
electrostatic image by toner which has a charge of the same polarity as the
(Dots Per Inch) the resolution of the printer, or the amount of dots it
takes to print a solid black 1 inch line.
Lamps - Lamps (Usually Red) Located in the printer. Erases the residual
charge left on the OPC drum after the print cycle. Enables the OPC drum to
start fresh on the next print cycle.
Lamp - Used in copiers. This lamp illuminates the image from the
original allowing it to be transferred to the OPC Drum.
Demand - Automated telephone system for the retrieval of all types of
information using your Fax machine with a touch tone telephone.
- (Cleaning Bar, Felt Wand) Plastic wand with high temperature felt.
Located in the fuser section of the printer. Keeps the upper fuser